Friday, October 16, 2009

Kindergarten Drop Off Gripe!

My 5 year old started kindergarten this year and I decided that I was going to drop him off at school in the mornings due to the EXTENSIVE amount of time he would have been on the bus if I had him picked up. I am 5 minutes from the school and the bus ride would have been 45-50 mins. Ridiculous, right?

Anyway, we had a parents meeting last May in which the principal went over how everything was done at the school, what a typical day was like, and how pick up/drop off & the busses worked. She made is very clear that it was a rolling drop off, meaning the parents are not supposed to park, get out of the car and walk their kids to the sidewalk. That point was reiterated at the orientation we had to attend the day before school started. VERY clearly!

To this day I think myself and my friend Jen are the only 2 parents that actually follow this rule. There are lots of kids dropped off and every single one of the parents gets out of the car and has to help their child out of the car. I'm sorry, but if your child is 5 and cannot get themselves out of the car, they probably aren't ready for public school. Seriously.

The crazy thing is, the one who is out there directing the parents and in charge of the drop offs is the principal and she says NOTHING to those ignorant parents. I can understand maybe helping out for the first few days....maybe even a week, but 1t holds up the line and is very frustrating to those of us who actually follow the rules. I just don't get why this is so hard for these parents.

0 comments: