Wednesday, October 28, 2009

MY OPINION on H1N1

Disclaimer: This is my opinion on H1N1, so if you don't like it or agree with it, I apologize, but I have to get this off my chest.

I am SOOO sick of hearing about the H1N1 virus. It's the flu people, the flu goes around every year. More people have died of the regular flu than the swine flu, and if you are careful and actually wash and sanitize your hands, you stand a much better chance of not getting it in the first place.

The catalyst for this post was that I just got a call from the 2 year old's Early Intevention home teacher canceling the Halloween party they had planned for Saturday morning. I'm actually glad they canceled it, because I hate those crowded events, but they canceled it because of the threat of H1N1. I guess they had some activities planned in which kids would have to touch things that other kids touched, ie Play Doh table, etc. So, we're all supposed to live in bubbles now? Is that it?

And if you haven't figured it out, NO, I am not getting my children vaccinated against it. Partly because I am not concerned in the least about it, but mostly because the vaccine is brand spankin' new and quite possibly not even safe. My children are not guinnea pigs and I am not going to put something in them that could turn out later to be something that is more harmful to them than getting the flu in the first place.

If the media would stop causing such a damn panic, we'd be just fine. So the moral of the story here folks is wash your damn hands. I am not living my life any differently. Why? Because the flu goes around every year.

7 comments:

Tina said...

i totally agree!! i have a feeling they are going to close our schools any day now!! ugh!!
thanks
xoxo

Mass Hole Mommy said...

It's all over the place around here. The end of last year, they closed the schools a day or 2 early for the summer. My mother and I got in a huge fight the other day when I told her I wasn't getting the vaccine for my boys. She believes everything she hears on the news, though, too. UGH!

Jabulani said...

Good for you. Seems common sense isn't completely dead after all. What a shock; I felt sure it was!

Unknown said...

Totally agree with you!

MrsBlogAlot said...

Oh! I'm so glad you said that out loud sister!

He'll never admit it but my doctor even agreed that he doesn't trust anything so new and so rushed!

Will there be enough pills for all of us to take when we grow five ears from this "cure" five years later?

Great post!

Mass Hole Mommy said...

I've actually talked to several RN's about it, too, and they all have kids my age and said the same thing I did. That it freaked them out and weren't vaccinating either. And they are much more educated than I am when it comes to these things :)

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way, there is NO WAY IN HELL i will vacinate my child with a new drug that has not even been out long enough. You are right, it's all in peoples heads now because of the media. it's crazy