The original plan was to go for 3 nights, 4 days and for my youngest son, who would be just under 2 at the time, to stay either with his dad or my parents (most likely the latter). Probably around March, I decided that I couldn't stand to be away from the baby for that long and added him to the trip. And then, as it got closer, my friend and I decided 3 nights wasn't enough, so we added another night and I booked a later flight home on the day we were to come back, so we basically had 2 extra days. If you are keeping track, that is 4 nights and 5 days. Cool.
So, this past July we all went and had a BLAST. With the exception of a few minor incidents (well, not so minor, but that is a story for another day), the trip came and went and everyone had a good time.
Here lies my problem. I paid for the trip in full, for all 4 of us, on my credit card and since my friend was only working part time at her dad's bar, she didn't have a lot of cash coming in. She has paid me about 2/3 of the money ($400), but I have yet to see the rest of the money she owes. It's been 5 months.
Because I added on the extra night, etc, the total went up by a little, so I believe her total is a little over $200 that she still owes me, but I told her on several occasions that she can come over and look through the paperwork and we can come up with a total together. I am not good with math, so I wanted her to be part of the "number crunching" and we could agree on what was fair. Now I really just feel like I am never going to see the rest of that money and right now, with my hours being cut at work, I really need it. I would be willing to settle for $200 at this point, but I am friggin sick of nagging her for the god damn money.She is back to work full time now, in addition to working a few nights at the bar, so I know she has the money. And she only lives 10 minutes away, so how freakin hard would it be for her to come drop it off? I have emailed, called and texted her quite a few times about it and I still have yet to see it. Everytime I get the brushoff I feel like I am taking it up the ass and I don't like it. It's MY money. I am the single mother here who is struggling to pay my bills. She friggin lives at home!!! GRRR! I really feel like the friendship is beyond repair now, and it' sad because she was someone I considered to be a pretty good friend. I really needed to get that off my chest. Partly because it's really bugging me, but partly because I texted her well over an hour ago AGAIN and got no response, so it's all fresh in my mind.
For the record, it will be the LAST time I ever do anything like that with a so-called friend.

15 comments:
That's tough... they always say never loan money to a friend... and it's so true! You are supposed to just think of it as a gift.
I loaned a friend money one time and it took forever getting it back. I started hating him. I would see him spending money and I would think, "hey, that's MY money."
Eventually he paid me back and we are still friends. But I would certainly not loan him or anyone else money again.
Good luck!
Tell her you've bookied a gig with her on Judge Judy for your 200 buckeroonies....and unless she wants to look like a mooching biach she better come forth pronto....just a thought.
That is a toughie... money coming between friends sucks ass. I wish there was a way to make her understand the importance of making some weekly/monthly effort to pay you back. It is a matter of respect imo. A real friend, I think, would want to find a way to work it out. I mean money comes and goes but true friendship can last forever... what a douche
Go "visit" her at the bar and take her tips until you have your money back.
But seriously, if she won't answer you, go visit her at the bar.
I actually just did something bitchier. I posted something on her FB wall about needing the money she owes me, so everyone can see what a douche she is. Yes, she will be pissed, but as far as I'm concerned, the friendship is already damaged. I can't wait for her response.....if I even get one.
awww money between friends sometimes doesn't work out well. It just depends on the friends I guess. Sorry you are having a tough time and I sure hope that 'friend' gives you the money they owe. That sucks
The FB thing may mean you never get the money but at least everyone will know what a douche she is. You gotta pay friends back. She's just lame.
That sucks. People don't realize that 200 is A LOT of money.
Never loan money that you don't need to have had paid back. That's really all there is to it.
Ian
thedailydoseofreality.blogspot.com
That totally sucks! Why do friends fo that? Totally take advantage of others. By the way, my mom lives in Worcester. ;)
That really stinks. It is hard lending to friends for sure...I think you should be prepared to never see that money again. I wish I had a magic trick for you, though!
Wow, that is aweful. I think lending money to friends is the hardest thing to deal with. You don't want to say no but not getting it back puts a wedge in a friendship.
Thanks everyone. I did get a text back HOURS later. She was all appologies and said she would be by on Friday night with the money. I'm not holding my breath.
Ian, can you email me an invitation for your blog?
That really sucks! We have had the same expereince except with my husband's brother. We loaned him so much money and hubby even let him use his credit cards. He totally ruined hubby's credit. It almost stopped us from buying our house and took years to repair. We NEVER loan money anymore. Deadbeats suck!
oh robin.... we are soo much alike,and if i even had enough of a limit left on a credit card i would have done the same thing...
that just sucks, and sorry that she is willing to let a friendship go sour for a couple hundred dollars.. maybe she is not worth it, to do that to you and your boys
xoxoxo
Post a Comment