Saturday, December 19, 2009

What a Shocker. Literally.

One of the reasons I dread this time of the year is getting shocked. I'm not talking your average, run of the mill shocks like when you rub your feet on the carpet and touch something metal here either. I literally create sparks. No joke. I can just be standing still and happen to touch someone or something nearby and BAM.....a huge electrifying shock. Sometimes it's funny if I sneak up on someone and shock them, but it ALWAYS hurts. Why am I like this? I have always gotten shocked in the winter (like most people), but never this hardcore. I would say for the past 3 or 4 years (maybe since I've had my first son even), I am completely electrifying.....and I am not talking in a good way, lol! I was tucking my 2 year old into bed the other night and was kneeling down at his bed reading to him and got a HUGE shock, that created multiple sparks, on his plastic Little Tikes bed. Who gets shocked on plastic?? Anyone else have this issue?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant say Ive had experience with that...maybe you should see someone about it..an electrician, Ben Franklin...or maybe wrap yourself in rubber..Lol...that sounds too weird...but ya know what I mean...!!

Pink Haired Momma said...

WOW! i have never encountered that large of a shock. That is annoying yet so cool. I dont have advice to offer except maybe wear sme rubber gloves until spring! LOL

Kristy said...

Yes! Never plastic, but I get shocked by water! And I think my poor cats think they're being punished when I reach down to pet them and ZZZZZT!... sigh... I feel your pain. Literally I do.

lisa said...

I am so dull that I never get those shocks anymore. I can't even make them intentionally in the dryer with no fabric softener sheets. It is distressing me thinking about it. You are electrifying. :::jealous:::

Jackie said...

what a funny post! I just moved up to CT (after being away for 6 years) and I was shocked at how much I've been shocking people and I've been getting shocked! I forgot about that part of winter :)

Mass Hole Mommy said...

I actually just went to go down to the basement to put my clothes in the dryer and when I went to flip the light on, I made a big old blue spark on the light switch. OUCH!

Anonymous said...

I HATE getting shocked! Le suck. But I am also a huge wuss. In retrospect, I don't know how I survived childbirth, even the ones that I had drugs for. Eh.

The Accidental Mommy said...

No, can't say I get shocked off plastic. But I caught myself yesterday tapping at things before I full out touched them, trying to set off the shock ahead of time I guess. I don't know, it was sort of a subconscious thing.

Tina said...

i get shocked alot also , but i don't think as much or as intense as you do.

Vanessa said...

This is one reason I'm glad to be a Florida girl! Because even here, that happens to me when it gets cold, and I have seen sparks too!! And back when one of our Walmarts opened, it would happen anytime I went to open one of their freezer door things. It got to where I just stopped drinking milk, or eating ice cream... Not really, I would just suffer. But I hate that feeling!!

Anita said...

Be careful at the gas station!

Melissa said...

Oh I am the same way! I get shocked starting my car and EVERY time I get out of my car. I swear to you I am always afraid of pumping gas now in fear that I will spark and explode. It's something I fear every time I have to get it. Now I touch everything metal that I can before even touching the gas pump just to be sure that I have gotten all the current shocks out.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

You are not alone on this. The shock thing and static electricity hair make me crazy this time of year. I should count how many times I have to reprimand my son for "shocking" me each winter.

Working Mommy said...

Ugh...I hate this too...it happens to me ALL winter and I can't stand it!

~WM

Unknown said...

I feel your pain girlfriend! I can't even open a door without covering my hand with my coat and yes it does hurt!!

The Grasshoppa:Triplets Plus Two Momma said...

oh dear....you need to ground your self immediatly!

Still, it's awesome to be so electrifying!!!!