
I would say that Valentine's Day is a pretty popular "holiday" and honestly, I personally don't get it. Please don't misunderstand that statement, though. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE getting flowers and presents, but I don't think my fiance (or anyone) should have to buy me flowers or anything just because it's Valentine's Day and he feels like he has to. Chris is VERY thoughtful and brings me flowers and little things a lot, and those things are soooooo much more meaningful to me because he just does it, not because it's February 14th and he's forced to bring me something. So, we don't celebrate Valentine's Day because of that reason.
Not to mention the years in which I didn't have a special someone to buy me flowers, chocolates or jewelry. I would be at work and see everyone else getting flowers delivered and felt like a piece of crap because I was getting nothing.
I just prefer the little things throughout the year a lot more. It's nice to know someone is thinking about me because they want to. Not because they are forced into it.

16 comments:
I totally agree. I guess Valentines Day is for the men who only do the flowers, candy, etc. one day a year.
You're right, actually. For us, we have special occasions often - and frankly, if he couldn't buy me flowers and such (or movies or books as the case may be) during the rest of the year, I'm not so sure I'd want them on V-day, either!
I agree with this one hundred percent. Nothing like saying "you WILL show me you love me TODAY". We dont celebrate it either. I do give the kids a little something, but hubby and I dont, like you we do it at other times of the year. We are rebels like that
I am right there with you. I would much rather be surprised by flowers on an ordinary/normal day...then out of obligation on a stupid Hallmark holiday.
Totally agree. I wrote about this on my blog today, too!
I have to agree. I think some man came up with this holiday because they know that men forget to tell that important someone how important they are. Same goes with women.
Let me hear an AMEN!
I knew I was going to like your post when I saw that dead cupid at the top... =)
All year round is much better :D We use Valentine's Day as an excuse to spend the day together without getting distracted by everyday life.
I am SOOOOO with you on this! I hate that people feel like they HAVE to do something because Hallmark decided to sell more cards. We keep it low key by making cookies. I also hate V-Day because it's a week before my birthday and people tend to think V-day is a more important day to celebrate. HOW RUDE!
I totally understand.
I agree completely unless you have a husband like me who doesn't think to bring me flowers of gifts other days of the year...
Actually we don't do V day much either.. Its ok, I would rather have sushi than flowers :)
LOL Krista!! Happy early birthday!
I actually do something small for the kids and I buy conversation hearts because they are DELICIOUS, but that's the extent of it.
I understand you completely! In my opinion Valentine's Day was created only for men that forget to be romantic and show their appreciation and love for their one and only...and it tortures those romantics with more pressure. But if you don't get anything or give anything on Valentine's Day, you are mocked by everyone. No one can win on this holiday. What's love got to do with it..then? Oh, I think that was a song...go Tina!
Oh I love getting that unexpected surprise here and there during the year. It is so fun! We feel the same about Vday.
I completely agree and I do not get surprised through out the year with flowers and flowers. Honestly though I dont agree with someone buying me something and wanting to love me on one day a year. Love me daily or dont bother.
Carri
http://carribear0620.blogspot.com
Post a Comment