Thursday, April 1, 2010

Floods, Floods, and Oh Ya More Floods!!


For anyone who doesn't know what's going on up here in New England, let me fill you in a little. I know I mentioned it briefly in my post yesterday, but basically it's rained for the entire month of March. I mean, inches upon inches. There has been so much rain, that all the rivers and streams are overflowing...and I mean FILLING people's basements, turning their yards into small lakes and flooding a bunch of roads. In the city of Taunton, MA, which is right near me, a major route hs completely submerged under water (like 4 feet of water....not just a little), so it's effecting all the local businesses, too.

Massachusetts is in a state of emergency because of it. I'm not sure what's going in in surrounding states, but I know I saw on the news that the Warwick Mall in Warwick, RI is pretty much submerged, too. They showed a guy going through their parking lot in a row boat. Yes, really. It's crazy around here. Luckily it's not supposed to rain for the next few days.

Last night I dropped the boys off with their dad and came across this little piece of flooded road in Mansfield, MA (which is the picture up at the top). Lucky for me it was only covered with about a foot of water, which I did end up driving through. Probably bad for my car, right? It was funny because there was a car coming from the other direction and we both stopped as we approached the "puddle" because it was really hard to tell how deep it was. I really didn't want to turn around and go all the way back, so I just sat there and waited for her to go through it so I could see how deep it was. Once she went, I took a quick pic and drove through it.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

YIkes I hate flooding.. Thankfully I live on a BIG hill if I flood someone better have made an ark already. But it is pretty bad in a lot of areas here as well. Small side roads, close by creeks, all contribute to teh flash flood factor.

Caution/Lisa said...

I can't believe you drove through it. Yikes. Thank your guardian angel and then stay on high ground.

Mass Hole Mommy said...

HAHA....I'm crazy like that. The way I went (with the flood) was kind of a crazy short-cut and I would have had to back track A LOT to get back in the right direction and it would have taken more time than I had. Once I saw the other car go through it, I knew I would be fine.

Unknown said...

Goodness! Well I hope the rain stops soon so you all can start drying out there!

The Four Week Vegan said...

Yikes! Be careful driving through "puddles" it really isn't a great idea. Take it from one that learned her lesson the hard way.

Lee-Ann said...

Wow that is crazy flooding!

extreme personal measures said...

Following your blog and on Twitter through Simply Stacie.

Momma Fargo said...

Holy Toledo Ohio! At least that might be where you wash up to. Yikes. Stay safe. Our flood time hasn't come yet.

Kristy said...

Heard about this on the radio... the weather is so wonky this year. Hope it doesn't affect your house...

Linda @ Linda's Lunacy said...

I'm following you back from Friday Follow. Yeah, last Friday! lol I'm running behind!

I heard about all the flooding. I have family in MA still.

Hope all that water dries up soon!

Coffeypot said...

We had two weeks of that stuff a couple of months ago. People are still trying to get back into their homes. Mildew and mold is keeping the Gov from letting them move back in.

Erin Janda Rawlings said...

Wow! That was quite a puddle!

Brandy said...

I love, love, love your blog title and plate! AWESOME!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Following from FF!

Brandy

California Keys said...

Those May flowers better be worth it!