Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Let's Talk Eyeglasses, Shall we?

I remember when I was a kid, I would have given anything to have pair of eyeglasses of my own. I loved to accessorize and every grown-up in my family had a pair, so I wanted a pair, too. I used to go with both of my parents every year when they went to get their eye exam just so I could try on all the display pairs. Nope, I am not kidding. I wanted glasses in the worst way! Then one day, I was at the mall and went into Claire's to look for earrings or something and there they were.....a pair of glasses with plain glass lenses. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Of course I scooped them up and wore them everyday for at least a year. And yes, I told everyone they were real. They were exactly like the big red pair that Sally Jesse Rapheal wore, and I thought I was just too cool for school when I wore them (keep in mind this was close to 20 years ago).

Then, when I was about 18, I noticed that as I was driving, the street signs were blury. I excitedly found an eye doctor and made an appointment. Sure enough, I needed prescription glasses. Score. Even though it was a few years after my Sally Jesse Raphael glasses debacle, there wasn't much selection as far as eyeglasses went. Meaning they were pretty boring...I mean standard colors (brown and black) and shapes.

These days there are some amazing styles of glasses available. There are all sorts of sizes and colors. It seems that some companies have realized that glasses are a very important accessory and offer so many cute and fashionable styles. I personally like the retro styles the best. Partly because many of them have smaller frames, especially the cats eye glasses, which is my favorite style of all time. For years I had been buying child frames because regular glasses were too big for my face. With the come-back of the retro styles, I can wear finally big kid glasses and look good while I do.

And these days it is so easy to purchase your glasses online. Back when I first needed glasses, there was no such thing as the internet, but now there are many online sites, like GlassesUSA that have the most current styles in eye wear. And to be honest, the prices online are much more reasonable than the prices in the little boutique attached to my eye doctor's office. With the prices being so much lower online, I could get a new pair for every day of the week. Maybe I should look into that.

Eyeglasses will always be my favorite accessory and I am thrilled that there are so many fashionable options available now.

5 comments:

reener said...

I used to want glasses too and like you saw a pair in Grants and scrounged up enough money to buy them. Walked around thinking "how cool am I?"

Now that I'm 48, and on my 5th pair of REAL glasses, I can't stand them! I've lost two pairs and have had the progressive lens. I'm back to regular lens for driving and the computer.

I'm glad to see that someone likes wearing glasses. You're a rare breed!

Marlene said...

I had a pair of glasses just like Sally Jesse's.....except they were PURPLE. (Purple was my favorite color!)

Amber, The Unlikely Mama said...

I used to kinda lie a little during eye exams to make sure I needed glasses :P Just a slight prescription, but I still got to walk away with a pair. Though, I never really needed them bad enough to use them for more than a week or so.

My last pair were for computer eye strain, but I can only wear them while reading...so they're not a good accessory. So sad, because they're super cute!

Momma Fargo said...

I agree! And the new ones are awesome. No more nerdy nasty big glasses. And strangely, your new ones looked a lot like mine. Great taste!

Tomi C said...

You're right, eyeglasses have changed so much these past few years.