Greyhound racing is becoming a thing of the past, at least in these parts. Very close to my home (about a 10 minute drive) is the Raynham-Taunton Greyhound Park, which unfortunatley will be stopping it's live greyhound racing after many decades. The people of the state of MA voted last year to stop live racing in the state. The dog track will remain open, but will only have simulcast races, which I doubt will draw in much of a crowd.I grew up in the next town and have known many people that worked at the park over the years, including my brother, who worked there for over five years. I know for a fact that the dogs were not mistreated in this particular facility, as they are in some others. Casinos are not legal in this state yet, so this was an excellent source of revenue for the state, as well as providing over 1000 jobs. And like I said, the park will stay open (they have several restaurants and live entertainment on weekends), but many jobs will be lost.
A funny thing about the dog track is that I basically spent every Saturday night there while I was growing up with my Papa. I would say from the time I was 3 until the time I was 7 or 8 I could be found on a lawn chair with my nana and papa right inside the door. Times were different back then (we're talking the early 80's here) and it was not unusual to see little kids amongst the cigar smoking degenerate gamblers. LOL!! Now a days I would NEVER even consider letting my kids into a place like that, but back then it was the highlight of my week. My Papa bought me a soft-serve chocolate and vanilla swirl cone every week and I thought that was the best thing ever.So last night I spent my last night at the track with my boyfriend and a group of friends. It's sad to know that such a big part of my childhood is coming to an end, but times are a changing I guess.

11 comments:
I've never seen dog racing. It is good to hear that the dogs were treated nicely.
I can definitely see where you'd be sad that a piece of your childhood isn't going to be taking place anymore. It is nice to hear that the dogs were treated well.
~Working Mommy
Come on by, stay for a while and leave a comment or two!! See you there!
I've never been to a race either. I've always wanted to see a dog race and a horse race.
It's a pretty big bummer when cherished parts of our lives seem to be in the past. Ugh...getting older is a buzz kill sometimes.
There used to be a horse track near here, too, but that closed when I was a kid. I remember going there a few times, but not nearly as many times as the dog track.
sad part about MA is that the voters don't always know all the details about what they vote about. The law was originally brought about to take care of the dogs not get rid of them...too bad.
You're absolutely right! Most of the voters were uninformed about this (as well as many other things, sadly). I'm still hoping for a casino around here. The Wompanoag's bought a HUGE parcel of land in my town. People are pretty uptight around here, so who knows if it will pass.
I don't know much about greyhound racing...only the horror stories. I'm sorry such a well run facility was shut down!
wow..i have never seen anything like this...
i am so sorry for the sad end..
i grabbed your button and following you on facebook..
thanks for encouragement..
I am also in MA and I will admit I did vote to end greyhound racing in the state. BUT, I did my homework. I don't vote blindly on issues. I live fairly close to Wonderland dog track in Revere and I have seen the "kennels" the dogs are kept in. I won't go in to details but it is NOT a pretty sight. It has just been my experience that dogs are not treated well at these facilities. I do agree with you, however, on casinos in our state. There is just no good reason to not have them. When I think of all the money going over the border to CT and RI...
It's sad to see an important part of your childhood go like that. Glad you got to spend one last night there though!
I've probably been to that track in my youth. When we would visit family back east, my dad would take me to the track - I loved it! He even let me make bets, through him of course, and that was thrilling.
Post a Comment