Monday, November 30, 2009

My Christmas Tradition

I have seen a few people write about their Christmas tradtions, so I figured I would tell you guys about mine. This tradition I am going to tell you about is something that my mom started with my sister, brother and me when we were children. I remember how exciting it was when I was young, and I wanted to carry on the tradition with my kids. So here goes....

Every year on the night of December 23rd, after the kids are asleep, the "Elves" come to check on the kids for Santa and confirm that they are on the nice list. If all checks out (and of course it always will) the Elves leave chocolate balls on all the windowsills inside the house. I remember as a kid, the feeling of joy knowing that the Elves had been there and that Santa was definitley coming that night (the chocolate balls are not found until Christmas eve morning if you missed that) . I have seen that same look on my 5 year old's face and look forward to it again this year!

16 comments:

Mae Rae said...

That's sooo cool! My boys are too old now, except my last one who I am afraid this might be the last year for.

Working Mommy said...

What a GREAT tradition!! Unfortunately the babe is still a bit young to have any REAL fun with her - b/c lets be honest...celebrating ANY holidays/milestones for the first year (or two) is really all about making mommy happy. This sounds a lot like "elf on the shelf" except you get chocolate...and who doesn't like that?!?!

~Working Mommy
Come on by, stay for a while and leave a comment or two!!

Coffee Slut said...

That's an awesome tradition ...I wish my son were still small *sniff*
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

What a cool and unique tradition!!!

mari said...

I, uh, might just have to steal that tradition. If I can remember it in 3 years wen she's old enough to know the difference!
Love it!

Liz Mays said...

That is the cutest tradition! It's the first time I've ever heard anything like that. So cute. :)

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Thanks everyone! It really is so much fun to see the look on their faces when they find the chocolate in the morning!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

That is a really cute tradition. I love it!

Pink Haired Momma said...

that is such a fantastic tradition. What a wonderful idea. Your mom sounds like a fabulous lady and gifted you wih a wonderful memory to now give to your kids! Too cool!

Leslie said...

I really like that your mom did it for you and your brother and sister and your doing it for your kids. What a fun tradition...

SimplyBillie said...

What an amazing Tradition!! I'm definitely going to be stealing this one. Thanks!

Dumb Mom said...

I keep forgetting it's almost Christmas! We have a Christmas Eve one too. The dudes get to open 1 (mom selected) gift after Xmas Eve dinner. It's always some family thing like a game, or a movie, or a book that we can share together before bedtime. We did it when I was little and I always loved it! Thanks for coming over to my place! Come back soon:)

septembermom said...

That's a wonderful idea! What a beautiful tradition. So sweet.

Allison said...

That's an awesome tradition! I may have to snag that one! Thanks so much for stopping by my little corner and commenting and following...I'm following you now to and don't think I'm doing it because I think I have to! I love your blog!

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Haha! Thanks :)

endomental said...

What a sweet idea! I'll have to mention it to my daughter for my grandkids.