1. Frappes have ice cream; milk shakes don't.2. If it's fizzy and flavored, it's soda. Pop is what you call your dad (in some parts). When we mean tonic WATER, we say tonic WATER.
3. The smallest beer is a pint.
4. Scrod is whatever they tell you it is, usually fish. If you paid more than $6 a pound, you got scrod.
5. It's not a water fountain, it's a bubblah.
6. It's not a trash can, it's a barrel.
7. It's not a shopping cart, it's a carriage.
8. It's not a purse, it's a pockabook.
9. They're not franks, they're haht dahgs. Franks are money in France.
10. Order the "cold tea" in China Town after 2:00 am, and you'll get a kettle full of beer.
11. The underground train is not a subway. It's the "T", and no, it doesn't run all night.
12. Always "bang a left" as soon as the light turns green. No fear, the oncoming traffic always expects it.
13. There's no school on School Street, no court on Court Street, no dock on Dock Square, no water on Water Street.
14. Massachusetts Ave is Mass Ave. Commonwealth Ave is Comm Ave. Dorchester Ave is Dot Ave. South Boston is Southie. The South End is the South End. East Boston is Eastie!
15. It's not a rubber band, it's an elastic.
16. It's not a traffic circle, it's a rotary.
17. "Going to the Islands" means Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket.

12 comments:
We have a lot of those things in Lawn-guy-land too. Particularly the Pockabooks and the weiners, but we pronounce them haht DAWGS.
Isn't it Bauhsen? The one thing I miss about it all the most is the accent. Seriously. I will call my vendors up and around Boston just to hear them talk. Something so comforting about it.
Loved this! I went to college in TN and one of my boyfriends was from Boston. Everyone actually called him Boston. I remember one night he suggested that we go get a "couple of pies." I was the only person in the group who knew he was referring to pizza...everyone else wondered if they were getting apple or cherry.
Nice hehe...I think your pints are smaller than here though - go on the Irish hehe...also, France no longer pays for their snails with Francs, they are all about the euro these days..The Swiss on the other hand still operate with francs...
Love this! Now if the rest of the country would just learn this and speak properly we would be all set!!! :-)
Aint that the truth! Aint nothin' like living in Mass!
This makes me smile. :o)
First, thanks for stopping by my place and following (I'll be doing the same!).
Second, I cannot believe I have never been to Boston! It has always been on my list of places to go...now I will have a cheat sheet when the time comes!
Holly
A shopping cart is a carriage? What about the Prince? LOL! Here are some Pittsburghese terms for you:
-We "red up", not pick up, a room
-Your "elastic" is our gum band
-I guess I do drink my father because I certainly don't have soda.
-The underground rail is still the trolley to me
-And we eat hoagies, not subs
Funny post!
my cousins are all in MA.....these all make me laugh and think of them!! but i have to say as a "new yorker" (not the city of, i grew up in the burbs) i "bang a left" all time!!!
good tips for the next time the wifey and I make it out that way. I am going to have to trt tea at 2 am.
You might want to get updated on the world, France doesn't use Franc's anymore (not spelled Franks) they use EURO and have for MANY years.
Post a Comment