Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Don't Think So, Pal

Every month or so for the last six months, I remember that I need to call and have my cesspool pumped. Well, I actually thought of it yesterday while I was home and had the business card with their name and number in front of me (not that I am loyal, but there is a backstory as to why I stick with the same company. I will save that story for a rainy day)!

So, I call around noon time and talk to the guy and he said he can send someone out that afternoon. Cool. He asked me where my tank was, so I told him it was in the back of the house. That part is important to remember for later in the story. Literally, the truck was at my house within five minutes. I was shocked, but hey, that was fine by me. I do have an old tank in the front yard, but it's not used, so I never even mentioned it. I assumed specifially telling them that the tank is in the back would be enough. My bad.


About a minute after the truck pulled up, my doorbell rang. It was the guy and he informed me that he opened the lid to the old tank I had in front (not even sure as to why when I specifically said my tank was in the back). The tank in front hasn't been used in about 30 years and is bone dry. Anyway, he said when he opened the lid, because it was so old, it crumbled, which apparently is common because it was so old. He assured me it was not a problem and he would send someone out that afternoon to fix it. Ok, great. He did his thing and left (with a gaping hole in my front yard).


So, about two hours later the guy that came to fix the broken cesspool lid. I didn't even know he was here until he rang the bell with an invoive for $184. WHAT??? I went into psycho bitch mode and told him there was no way in hell I was paying ANYTHING for it. I told him that it wasn't my fault the dude opened the wrong tank, even though I specifically told him it was the one in the BACK! And I also told him that the guy out to pump it never, ever indicated that I would have to pay for it. The guy (quivering) said he was going to call the office and went to his truck to do so. He came back a few minutes later and said they would split it with me. I sternly reminded him that it was in no way, shape or form my fault and I was not paying a penny for anything. I told him to take his damn cover and get lost.


I immediately got on the phone and called the office myself. I told them the same thing that I told the guy, plus I told them that I have two little kids and if they fall in that gaping hole that they caused and get hurt because of it, there will be HELL TO PAY. She put me on hold and when she came back she said some nonsense about how they thought I wanted a brand new cover (for $184!!!), but could get me a "used" cover. They apparently save them from jobs that they did. I told her that I didn't give a crap what they did as long as the big hole was covered SAFELY and I also reminded her that I was not paying for it. She said they would take care of it.


I looked out my kitchen window about a half hour later and behold there was a cover on it. Chris came over last night and checked it and said it was on there securely, so it's all set. GOOD.

15 comments:

Tina said...

well that just freakin sucks.....
now that is the kinda shit that would happen to me. what a bunch of useless a-holes, huh?
glad it is all taken care of, what would life be without all this drama? oh, that's right...relaxing, peaceful, well we can't have that now, can we?
lol
luv ya
xoxo

The Four Week Vegan said...

Good for your for standing firm. It was their fault and they should have fixed it free.

Beth P. said...

Wow. I'm glad you stood your ground and didn't give in. Why don't people LISTEN?!

*Katy* said...

I can't believe they wanted you to pay for their mistake!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! You go get em girl! And can I borrow you for a few? I need to get some things taken care of!

Vanessa said...

Did they ever pump the one in the back??

Momma Fargo said...

Why is it when someone has to deal with shit, clean up shit, or fix shit...it all comes down to still dealing with assholes? Don't assholes create the problem in the first place? Damn those assholes! I'm glad you didn't pay 'em.

Unknown said...

Wow that is crazy!

I follow you from the Wednesday is Friends Day McLinky! You have a great blog:)
I would love if you follow me too!
http://mylittlestgravesies.blogspot.com/

Mass Hole Mommy said...

I know it's gonna be hard to believe, but there have been a few time (in the past) where I didn't speak up and ended up getting screwed, so I ALWAYS speak up now. Honestly, if they came to the door and said it was like $20, I may have just paid it, but $184!!! NO WAY! I work way to hard for my money!

And Vanessa, yes he did pump the one in the back.

Lothiriel said...

Ihate it when service people come to your house and start doing shit without even listening to you! ugghhh...!

So glad you stood up for yourself.

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

Sheesh! Is that how they make money? The nerve of them thinking that they would "split" the cost with you?

Good for you for taking it to the top!!

Kristy said...

Geez... I'm glad it got fixed.

shawn said...

I'm following from Weds is Friends Day. I'd love you to stop by http://shawnssharings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Ugh I hate things like that. A few years ago friends came home from work to find a really nice top quality pool cover installed on their pool. Turns out the workers went to the wrong house. She actually agreed to pay part of it. I was furious! (and it wasn't my house or money!) I would have flat refused and told them to either leave it or remove it and redeck the entire pool (as it would have been marred)

Oh here from #FF

Tamara said...

Is that why you're called Mass Hole Mommy? I'm following you back from Follow Friday. I really like your blog, BTW!