Huge thanks to Bree from Thinking Outside of the Box, for being my guest writer today. Now I don't have to waste any of the few precious brain cells I have left trying to come up with a post for today...phew. Go check her out.....she makes perty stuff. And while you're there, enter her giveaway that she has going on. It ends today!
**************
One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
That, to me, is what not embracing change can represent in one’s life.
I have read a few posts about change; changing financial habits, changing jobs or changing housing. The common theme I see, though, is dread. I don’t get it. Did someone tell us that change is a bad word and we all bought into it? If everything was wonderful, the need to change wouldn’t even exist. We usually don’t consider change unless something is off, yet we are intimidated or fearful to pursue the change. This is not a concept I am familiar with.
My whole life has been about change. We began moving often after I was born and it continued through my entire schooling years. Following high school, I continued the trend. To date, I have lived in about 20 states and I am not quite 40yrs old. Okay, maybe that is a little nuts?!? I have learned that people are pretty similar wherever you go. Maybe their accent is stronger or maybe they drive a bit faster but we’re all the same breed. I guess change is easy when it is the norm.
My dad was in the Navy and, in addition to the moving, was also gone A LOT. When I was 12, I think I determined he had been gone half of my life. Wild, right? I suppose that is how the term ‘Navy brat’ was coined. We lived in bases where the entire community was in need of parents. The dads were gone and the moms where working or just busy. If a kid can’t find love, they start looking for something- anything to feed that inherent need (yes, I speak from experience). Kids have a tendency to get a bad reputation in those situations.
I now have kids and I don’t want to move (as much). Grief, there is tons more to pack now. However, my hubby and I work on ‘changing’ our environment often. We have switched rooms, redecorated, changed furniture, etc. We like for our kids to see that everything is ok when the bed is moved from one side of the room to another. In fact, some say that it is good for the brain! We don’t simply disregard something because it may mean a job change or move, yet we are more deliberate with our moves. Oh, did I mention I married a son of a sailor also- yep, both movers! All we can do is the best we can do with the information at hand. If we make a wrong decision, we just figure it out. Adjustments can be made, life still goes on!
DO I have a point? Fear is a life sucker. Just live; take the ‘leap of faith’ and move forward. Everything will be ok. When it’s time to change, gather your facts, think and talk it through and ACT. Life is action and meant to be enjoyed. So change your mind and move forward or change your thinking to enjoy where you are!
My blog is titled, ‘thinking outside of the box’ not because I think weird, but because change, honesty, humbleness and aggressiveness (especially in problem solving) is a NEED for me. So, at times I can be ‘inventive’ or not so main stream in my thoughts or action. I can’t stand just sitting around waiting for life to invite me to dance- - - I have tried that approach and I was left waiting- - -
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Awesome post! I agree. I really enjoyed this post this morning. Thanks.
Thank you for featuring me - I feel more than honored to the the big 'mass hole' today- Love it! Bree
Its a sign of genius, actually, to constantly move furniture. Google it. I'm not kidding. I did. It has to be true cause I do this. Fung shui is a need and an art, dude! It drives the Hubs crazy though!
I'm a mover too. While my father was out of the Navy before I was born, he was still the type to like change. He liked new experiences. My god, his life story reads like a work of fiction!
Then when my parents divorced, I moved back and forth A LOT! After I was old enough to move on my own, I did so with reckless abandoned. Over 10 moves in 10 years. When I bought a house I thought I might go crazy. I mean, one place for more than one year?
I happen to be partnered with someone who only moved once as a child. From an apartment to a house his parents bought. Yeah...he's not a fan of change. He's had one job (ok, well 2) since college. He's only moved a few times as an adult, and 3 of them were because of me, ha!
Now that we have a child, I want to move again. Am I nuts? I dunno, but I want to be somewhere I love, rather than just somewhere I live.
I do love you sentiment: "So change your mind and move forward or change your thinking to enjoy where you are!" I have taken that thought to heart many times. I used to switch rooms with my brother (albeit, without his permission) at least every year. I STILL move my furniture around ALL the time.
Change is good for me. It provides me with a new project, and I love me some projects :-)
@Miss Fit - my furniture moving drives my guy nutty too! HAHA, specially when I need his help :P
Great Post! Reminds me not to wait around for something..I think thats pretty much what I have been doing most of my life ~ and I have to learn to embrace change and not fear it...
Post a Comment