Yesterday I went to go out with my boys on a few errands. We were walking towards my car, which was in my driveaway. The baby's car seat is on the passenger side, which was facing us and my five year olds booster seat is on the drivers side. My big kiddo went around the front of the car, which was parked in the driveway, in front of the garage, to get into his side.
He ran ahead to get in while I was still on the walkway with the baby heading towards the car. Then he screams bloody murder and runs towards me. I asked him what was up and he said there was a big big. I rolled my eyes and went over to see what he was so scared of. If you knew my son, you'd know he screams like that if he sees an ant or a fly, so I was expecting some miniscule bug.
Well, let me just say he had means to scream. I am not a bug fan by any stretch of the imagination, but when I saw this thing, I was paralyzed with fear. I am not exaggerating at all by saying this thing was a big as a small mouse. It was black and had some sort of a stinger on the back (no Ididn't get anywhere near close enough to take a picture of it). It was the biggest bug I'd ever seen in my life. All I kept thinking was how the hell was I going to kill it, without letting the kids see that I was really shitting my pants.
I put the baby in the car so that he didn't get under-foot and then I grabbed one of the kids toy shovels. It's more of a spade type shovel, but still made of plastic. It had about an 18" handle, so I was going to try and get close to it and smack it with the shovel. Until I got about four feet away....and I just couldn't do it. So I said to my five year old "hey, I'll give you five bucks if you kill that thing" to which he laughed in my face and said "uh, no way mom". Great.
Death was inevitable for that tiny monster because the thought of seeing it again was too much for me to handle, so my mind was racing about what I could do. Of course all the nosey neighbors I have that are always out were no where to be found, so I told the five year old to run to Elmer's house, our next door neighbor. I've utilized his bug squishing services before, so I knew he would come over to kill it. The only thing is, he's about 80 and I was afraid the bug would move (towards me god forbid) before he got over.
Luckily, Elmer was on his way out when my son got to him, so he came right over....rolling his eyes of course. He killed it without blinking (and laughing at me, too). I asked him WTF that thing was and he said it was a june bug. I googled june bug and that thing was no june bug, so I still don't know what it was, but I can only hope I never, ever see one again. It was right out of a nightmare.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
Wowzers. That creeps me out just reading about it! Was it a giant tiger beetle? I googled "biggest north american bugs". That one looked kinda sorta like your description. lol
Eww, got eebie jeebies just reading that!!
yeah June bugs are big but not the size of a small mouse. And they don't have stingers. LOL
That is creepy. Hopefully there aren't more where that came from!
ewwww the kinds of creepy crawlers im picturing reading this is giving me shivers lol! gross... have you seen the giant grass hoppers? they are around here but they are freaking huge & they fly ewwww
Sounds like my boys! My 3 year old went 48 hours without sleeping because of a moth!!
ACtually is sounds more like a katydid or a cicadia.. Ugly scary things that come out and look terrifying but if they are the right kind you want them around cause they kill a certain type of ground wasp with that huge stinger you saw..
Definitely not a June bug with a big stinger. And here I was happy to be moving back to MA after all the big nasty creepy crawlers here in Texas. I even wrote a post about them in my blog last week, lol. I would love to know what it was when you figure it out.
I googled it, it was a cicada. YUCK. It's guts are all over my driveaway still.
I was going to guess Cicada. They're the lovely bugs that make all those buzzing noises in the trees in late August.
I wanted a picture - but not after it was squashed! :)
LOL, pigs would fly outta my ass before I got close enough to take a picture of that creepy mo fo. EW. I know they make noise and keep me awake nights, but I had never actually seen one. I hope it's the last time, too!
Cicadas are yucky!!
I have seen a few of those around my home as well, but never knew what they were called until I saw it here. I hate bugs as well. I walked outside the house barefoot a couple of nights ago and almost stepped on a scorpion. I had no clue there were any scorpions around my area. Luckily it was on the concrete or else I probably would not have seen it.
Oh jeez....I guess I should consider myself lucky it wasn't a scorpion. EW.
Gross! June bugs get huge but have no stingers that I know of. Must have been some prehistoric bug that was lying in wait for you!
EWW.
That is all I can say. :)
Newest follower!
prendalestelle.blogspot.com
Ugh, I was going to say it might be a vinegarone, until you said you Googled the cicada and that was it. *shudders* Vinegarones look like giant scorpions (and might BE giant scorpions, for all I know!) and I hope to god I never see one EVER again!! Once was one time too many. Even looking at a picture of one was too much to handle.....yick! Now I'm going to have the willies for a while. That's what I get for doing that to myself...LOL
Post a Comment