
Now here's something you don't hear about every day. It was recently brought to my attention that The New England Institute of Religious Research was located right in my own back yard of Lakeville Massachusetts, which is the town next to where I live. What in the heck is the NEIRR you may be wondering? It's one of three treatment facilities (the other ones are in Ohio and Germany) in the world in which they "re-program" former cult members. Ya, you read that right.
The actual treatment center in Lakeville is called Meadow Haven and their purpose is to give former cult members about nine months of therapy to try to help these people reacclimate back into normal society. They have a pretty detailed program, which you can read about here if you're interested. It includes, one-on-one counseling, part time employment, music lessons, workshops, volunteer work and support groups. This apparently helps them understand narcissistic personalities and build up their self confidence (in a mere nine months no less). Here is what a typical day at Meadow Haven would be like.
There was a case in Attleboro, MA (25 mins or so from where I live) a few years back where this guy had a bunch of wives and a zillion kids that were all part of a cult. I don't remember all the deets, but I think a neighbor of theirs ratted them out after they were seen howling at the moon or some shit like that. Anyways, long story short, a bunch of those poor brainwashed children were brought to Meadow Haven to "get well". Again, I would think it would take much longer than the nine month timeframe they give them, but that's just my opinion.
Here is what it says on their website:
"MeadowHaven exists to provide a refuge for former members of high control, destructive groups to rest, heal, and grow. By understanding their experience in an abusive environment and acquiring the skills necessary for life outside the group, MeadowHaven helps former members recover their ability to be thriving contributors to society.
Healing is fostered in the context of healthy community, relationships with other former members with similar experiences, and a supportive staff who understand the processes of thought reform and mind control"
The actual treatment center in Lakeville is called Meadow Haven and their purpose is to give former cult members about nine months of therapy to try to help these people reacclimate back into normal society. They have a pretty detailed program, which you can read about here if you're interested. It includes, one-on-one counseling, part time employment, music lessons, workshops, volunteer work and support groups. This apparently helps them understand narcissistic personalities and build up their self confidence (in a mere nine months no less). Here is what a typical day at Meadow Haven would be like.
There was a case in Attleboro, MA (25 mins or so from where I live) a few years back where this guy had a bunch of wives and a zillion kids that were all part of a cult. I don't remember all the deets, but I think a neighbor of theirs ratted them out after they were seen howling at the moon or some shit like that. Anyways, long story short, a bunch of those poor brainwashed children were brought to Meadow Haven to "get well". Again, I would think it would take much longer than the nine month timeframe they give them, but that's just my opinion.
Here is what it says on their website:
"MeadowHaven exists to provide a refuge for former members of high control, destructive groups to rest, heal, and grow. By understanding their experience in an abusive environment and acquiring the skills necessary for life outside the group, MeadowHaven helps former members recover their ability to be thriving contributors to society.
Healing is fostered in the context of healthy community, relationships with other former members with similar experiences, and a supportive staff who understand the processes of thought reform and mind control"
I just found this particularly interesting. I had absolutely no idea that such a place existed, and like 10 minutes from my house no less. I never thought about what happens to the victims of cult brainwashing after the cult is no more. It almost makes me want to spend some time volunteering over there to find out more. Meadow Haven states somewhere on their website that (I went back to link it and can't find it now) that the majority of people that get out of that sort of cult setting and don't get any treatment, will seek out similar lifestyles, therefore never breaking the cycle, which I totally believe btw. The thing that totally cracks me up, though, is that it's located on "Crooked Ln". Coincidence?

4 comments:
one day i got caught up watching a show about a cult and how some of the family members got smart and left, but some members of the family (even the children) refused to leave. It's scary how people can be so easily brainwashed which tells me its that much harder to get them reaclimated. I am glad there is a place like that.
VERY intriguing!
Very interesting...I had no idea and you know I love the oddities!
Wow! There is one in Ohio too? I have never heard of this either. Now I need to go check it out.
Post a Comment