Monday, July 12, 2010

RIP Emma

So, the five of us left on Friday morning for a weekend up in the mountains of New Hampshire. We stayed in Bartlett, NH, at the base of Attitash Mountain. We had an awesome time while we were there. It rained a little on Saturday morning, but that was fine with us because we were headed to Whale's Tail water park and figured if we were getting wet anyways, what was a little rain. By the time we had breakfast & packed up and got there, the rain had stopped, but it was still cloudy, which made it even better because the park was pretty much empty! We were there all day and had a flippin' blast.

Then yesterday we went to Storyland in Glen, NH, which is a fairytale based theme park for little ones (6 and under). The rides are little kid friendly and I've taken the kids there for the past 5 years. Other than the fact it was SUPER hot yesterday, the boys had an amazing time.

We got home around 1 pm today and sadly found our hermit crab, Emma, in a bad state. I went to check to make sure she still had water and food (I filled her up before we left on Friday) and she did, but she was laying in the corner out of her shell. As soon as I saw her like that I knew something was wrong. Because I didn't want to touch her slimy body, I made Chris pick her up and put her in her water, where she is still laying because we're going to have a proper burial tomorrow afternoon. We've had her for over two years and I feel terrible about it. Plus, my five year old started crying, so I ended up having to have "the death talk", which was pretty much the last thing I felt like doing after a long weekend away, but it had to be done. So, we're heading off to the flea market on Sunday to get a new hermit crab or two.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Sad to hear that Emma has passed!

Traci66 said...

I am sorry to hear that Emma passed, but remember she is in hermit crab Heaven now.

Ruth said...

Aww so sorry to hear about Emma!!

Ruth,
Underneath His Wrapping

chocolatecovereddaydreams.blogspot.com said...

At least she must've died peacefully, since she had food and water. Maybe the ceremony you can launch a balloon or plant a plant in Emma's memory?

Unknown said...

Aww hun so sorry about Emma.. That is really a long time for a hermit crab..

JennRawks said...

oh no. im sorry to hear this. little odd pets certainly grow on you. i can attest to that =/ hope the moral improves for you this week!!

Sylvia Plathypus said...

*hugs* I'm sorry about your little crab...I'm sure Emma was a very special pet! I cried when our hermit crab passed, too, much to my hubby's disgust. He just doesn't understand I guess, since his parents were no-pet fascists when he was growing up. It's just heartbreaking no matter what.

Big Mama Cass said...

Awwww :( RIP crabby Emma

Momma Fargo said...

Poor Emma. Very sad. RIP.

The Random Blogette said...

Aww..that is so sad. RIP Emma!

Terra Heck said...

We had five hermit crabs for quite a while and then they died during the winter. I think it was due to the dropping temps.