Today my first baby turns six years old and I can hardly believe it. It feels like it was just yesterday that I was bringing him home.
It all started in October of 2003, when baby fever hit me....and it hit me HARD. I told my husband (now my EX-husband) that I wanted a baby and he was totally on board, so we got to it. Next month when I missed my period (I am very regular) I knew I was "knocked up"! It was November at that point and we wanted to wait until Christmas to surprise our parents with the news. I am NOT good at keeping secrets, especially something major like that, so it was a tough month, but I managed to keep quiet and both our sets of parents were THRILLED.
Anyways, I had an awesome pregnancy. I had no morning sickness at all, and I was just a little tired during my first trimester and at the end of the pregnancy. I worked full time back then, so that probably contributed majorly to the fact that I was tired a lot. Other than that, it was the best I'd ever felt.
I remember going to my 20 week ultrasound. I was all ready to find out boy or girl. Yes, I wanted to know...neutral babies in yellow are not my style. So, we get there and no matter what I did, he wouldn't open his legs and let the tech see, so I left the hospital in tears and wasn't able to get another ultrasound scheduled for two weeks. Luckily my OB/GYN is super cool and he "made up" a reason for me to have another one since my insurance wouldn't have covered it. So, when it came time for that appointment, I ate a ton of sugar, drank soda and did some jumping jacks to make sure he was awake...and we got the good news that he was a boy!
I don't know if this has happened to any of you, but I am guessing it has....for my entire pregnancy, not only was everyone under the sun trying to touch my tummy...I mean even strangers at the store (weird), but everyone had a labor horror story and thought it appropriate to share with me, a nervous first time mom. Bitches.
Then, nine days early, about 1 am on a Sunday night (well, actually it was Monday morning), I felt an odd trickle of liquid, that I was pretty sure wasn't supposed to be happening. It was a few dribbles every few minutes, and I wasn't sure if it was my water breaking or not, because it wasn't one big gush as I'd expected. Finally I woke up my hubs and told him that I'd been "leaking" a little bit for the past 15 minutes and he told me to put on a pad (a maxi pad) and put a towel down on the bed. I figured he was right and since it was the middle of the night, I decided to try and get some sleep. No sooner did I put that towel on my bed and sit down did that BIG (and I do mean BIG) gush I'd been expecting happen. Luckily between my pad and the fact the bathroom was right next to my bedroom, I made it to the potty and didn't make any kind of mess. Dodged a bullet there.
Anyways, I wasn't in labor....at all, so I decided to wake up my poor OB/GYN (at 1:30 am) and tell him what had happened. I figured he was gonna send me to the hospital, which he of course did, so I made myself a nice little snack because I knew they wouldn't let me eat once I got there, and then I headed over to the hospital, which is probably about 20 minutes away.
So there I was hanging out at the hospital for hours on end, on IV antibiotics, until they decided to start inducing me around noon the next day. Sidenote, I was STARVING by that point and ice chips certainly weren't doing the trick. Anywho, I was having mild contractions by the time they gave me the Pitosin to induce me, but once they gave it to me, the contractions slowed down. They picked up a few hours later and around 6 pm and I had my epidural, which was heaven on earth. I'm sorry if I offend anyone here, but I think it's completely insane not to take an epidural. It was so beautiful that I was able to take a nap for a few hours until they woke me up and told me it was time to start pushing (which was around 11 pm at that point). If you're keeping track here, yes we are talking 20 hours later from the time when my water broke.
I literally felt nothing from my belly button down, so when they were nagging me endlessly to push, apparently I wasn't doing it hard enough, and the pushing nonsense took over an hour. And pushing is tiring. That is until my doctor came in and told me if I didn't pop him out on the next push, he was prepping me for a C-section. Sure enough, that did the trick and at 12:15 am, my perfect baby was born. And he was perfect. I was super happy about finally meeting my baby, but elated over the fact that my labor/delivery was a breeze. I never even felt him pop out. The recovery, even better.
Now here we are six years later, and anyone who has kids of their own knows how fast it goes by (sob, sob). I wish I could freeze time, but I guess I'll just settle for as much time with him as I can get before he grows up.
My second son is also an August baby, but the labor/delivery and especially the recovery wasn't so easy. Stay tuned for that on August 16th.
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


20 comments:
Happy Birthday to your Baby Boy!!! Gorgeous birth story!! :)
Congrats to you for surviving 6 years of motherhood, you only have decades to go now! :)
Dropping by from Follow Me Back Tuesdays as your newest GFC follower. Have a great day!
Awww Happy birthday to your baby boy! Thanks for the follow, i got your back :)
Dawn
@ Flip Out Mama
I'm your newest follower, I look forward to you following back over at One Fine Wire!
www.finewire.blogspot.com
Can't wait to see you there...so nice to meet you!
Happy Birthday to your sweet boy! I don't know, age six seemed to mark The Fun Years for us...so hopefully, you'll enjoy it as much as we have!
Also, yeah...the belly touching thing? Try having twins. It's fun. No, really.
Thanks for following me! I'm just now getting around to stalking people from the weekend, so I'm following you back!
Thanks for the follow!
They do grow up way too soon, don't they? :)
Happy Birthday to your son. AND congratulations to you for making it through the first year!
Thank you so much for following me. I am returning the favor and I am now your latest follower.
Tracy
www.cutorcopyandpaste.blogspot.com
This is an awesome recount of your sons birth! It goes by WAY too fast (double sobs!). Looking forward to the next birth story in a couple of weeks!
Awww.. sweet story! Happy bday to your little boy!!!
Thanks for visiting my site and happy birthday to your little guy!
Happy Birthday to your little boy!! What a great story!
Thanks for following my site.http://getoutplay.blogspot.com
I'm following you through my other site http://mylifeinjenga.blogspot.com!
Happy Birthday to him! <3
Hello! I am a new follower. Please subscribe to my blog too..I have 4 current giveaways going on too! Can't wait to read more of your posts!
http://couponclippingnutritionist.blogspot.com/
Following you back! Congrats on surviving 6 years of mommyhood!
http://nonutsformypeanut.blogspot.com/
I'm finally following you back--it took me a week (Ugh!) I love your birth story. My little boy is an August baby too (the eleventh). I nodded a lot during your post. For one, yes I remember finding out about my pregnancy in November and waiting until Christmas to tell everyone. I also remember those moms that had to share their less than pleasant birth stories or offer their ridiculous advice--like boys are ALWAYS late. Give me a break! Yours was early and so was mine. Happy birthday to your little munchkin. I'm so happy to find your great blog.
http://mommyspirit.blogspot.com
mommyspirit@gmail.com
Newest follower...
I love labour and delivery stories! Mine wasn't nearly has thrilling as yours though so I have nothing to share :(
I too had a wonderful pregnancy with my first child (a boy), but no strangers ever dared touch my stomach. Granted, it was hard to tell if I was pregnant or just bloated (no real tummy until around 8 months-then I exploded!).
Anyway, thank you for stopping by my blog and following me, I look forward to following your blog. It is so interedting!
Happy birthday to your child. I definitely agree that time goes by fast.
I thought my 22 1/2 hours was long!
I love hearing other birth stories, brings back all the memories.
I also have an award for you on my blog, http://newtomom.com/?p=279
Wahoooo and happy 6th birthday to your little boy!!
Post a Comment