Sunday, January 31, 2010

I Need Some Advice

I've got a problem. It's a stray cat living in my neighborhood. Why is she a problem you ask? She picks through my (and my neighbors) trash and makes a mess. I know she is a she because she had babies a few months ago. I'm not sure what happened to them because they are no longer with her. I don't know anything about cats, so I am not sure if it's normal for them to leave their mama or they are dead, but mama cat is on her own these days.

So, I was thinking, maybe if I left some real cat food out for her, she wouldn't have to pick through garbage to eat. Not that I am really a cat fan (I am a dog person), but I feel bad for her. But, I am not sure if I would ever be able to get rid of her if I did leave her food.


What do you guys think? I don't know what to do. I don't want her to go hungry, but I don't want a new friend for life either. Help......

10 comments:

Dee at Pedestrian Palate said...

Google ferral cat trapping in you area. Call and make sure that they are a humane rescue and not assoicated with a kill shelter and they will likely ger her off the street and get her fixed and possinly even adopted. Win/win.

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Oh, good idea! I DEFINITELY don't want anything bad to happen to her. I will look into that! Thanks!

Rachel Cotterill said...

I think I'd call the RSPCA for advice. I don't know much about cats, but if you decide to put food out, maybe put it a short distance from your house so she doesn't associate food with your home.

*Katy* said...

We are definitely cat people - we have two and are looking into getting another one. In our experience, kittens do not leave their mothers young unless forced. I would definitely call a local shelter and see if they are a kill or no kill. I know that we have a shelter near us (where we've adopted a cat) that will give you a cage to catch the cat. They charge you $50, but when you bring the cage back to them, they'll give you your $50 back and take the cat.

(If you put food out, you'll attract EVERYTHING! We've done that and in no time at all, we had a family of opposums move in...and multiple!)

Good Luck!!!

Kelley said...

Oh, yeah. Food will mean a permanent member of your household. Our shelter has a waiting list a mile long for animal unless there are puppies or kittens. Those are easy to adopt out. I think your best bet is to make sure your trash is critter proof and hope the shelter comes through. We bungee cord our trash cans to keep the raccoons away- I'm sure that would work great for the cat too!

Hope you find an answer!

Jodie said...

I was notorious for leaving food for the stray cats in our neighborhood and the cats would ALWAYS stay around...just ask my dad. =) My suggestion would be to find an organization in your area that deals with stray cats. Your local shelter might be a thought, but I'm with DG. Make sure theyy aren't going to put the cat to sleep, but will possibly spay her and find a good home for her.

Momma Fargo said...

Well, obviously you have the best garbage in the neighborhood! I think humane society or similar no kill shelter would be your best bet. If your city is like mine, there are hundreds of cats running amuck and having a good time. Sometimes the cats stay for awhile and mosey on...just think of it at Auntie Ethel-if you don't want to do anything...she visits awhile and travels on to the next adventure! They are very tough animals and adapt well to their environment.

Kelly said...

If you have a sand box make sure its covered, we have a ton of strays around here. I caught one lounging around our sandbox the other day and had it not been -35 outside I may have run outside to tell it to move along but sorry folks I will change out the sand in the spring when my fingers won't freeze off. So anyway, don't feed it unless you want a cat and I know you don't, cats are pretty smart and will figure out it is you leaving the food and start darkening your door...trust me I have two kitties who are worse than my kids...lol. so any way here is a link to a bunch of sites for rescues... it you need help you know where to find me :)

http://www.hoosierkitties.com/rescue/massachusetts.htm

Pam said...

Definitely do not leave any food out. I agree with the other commenters about contacting the local shelter and finding out about rescue groups of some other organization that traps feral cats. If you feed her, you will soon have a huge colony of feral cats in your neighborhood.

Julie said...

Do not feed her unless you want her to stay. Even far from the house, because she'll watch you coming and going.
Look in your phone book and see what's there or call your local vet because they'll know too.
Good luck. Cats are great, I love mine.
Take care and God Bless!!