Monday, March 15, 2010

St Patrick's Day Fun Facts

Erin Go Bragh!!
I'm not Irish in the least, but I scoured the internet and came up with this list of St Patty's Day fun facts for all my Irish pals!
1.St. Patrick was actually of Scottish descent, not Irish, and contrary to popular folklore he never chased any snakes out of Ireland.

2. On average, every American consumes 22 gallons of beer per year.

3. At one time, there were more Irish living in New York City, than in Dublin, Ireland.

4. Corned beef is strictly an American invention, the Irish don't actually eat it to celebrate the day.

5. The original Guinness Brewery in Dublin has a 9,000 year lease.

6. Bailey's Irish Cream which was launched in Ireland in the early seventies, is now the most popular liqueur in the world.

7. Over 8 million St. Patrick's Day cards are exchanged in America making today the ninth-largest card selling occasion in the US.

8. Over 94 million people plan to wear green on St. Patrick's Day.
9. 34.5 million U.S residents claim Irish ancestry, that is 9 times the current population of Ireland.

10. St. Patrick’s isn’t a big drinking holiday in Ireland. In fact, many of the local pubs are closed for the day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this!!!! Thanks for posting:)

endomental said...

Great collection of facts. I know Bailey's is my favorite liqueur!

Liz Mays said...

It's kinda funny that it's not a big drinking day over in Ireland!

Momma Fargo said...

Very interesting! I would love to go to Ireland. It's on my bucket list.

No beer on St. Patty's Day? Where did we come up with that? I like beer.

Kelly said...

I wasn't aware st patrick was scottish...guess i can still celebrate since i am both scottish and irish....hope you are staying dry over there

California Keys said...

I don't drink, so somebody out there is drinking 44 gallons a year... lol

Coffeypot said...

#1. The snakes he was to have driven out of Ireland was the English. He was part of the movement, war, stuff that made them leave.

#8. Being of Irish desent, I do wear green - a green t-shirt that looks like a lipricon’s coat and shirt. And a button on my belt buckle that says, "Kiss Me...I'm Irish."

Queen Bug said...

Wow... completely didn't know any of those. The only thing I do know is that I do not fall into that beer category. Yuck!! I don't even have 1 a year, thankfully.